~Effexor Withdrawal...Brain Zaps And Other Issues The Drug Companies Forgot To Mention

I am appauled at the drug companies for failing to inform users of documented side effects and withdrawals from their antidepressant drugs, and I wonder how long they intend to use us as their trial subjects in the search for long-term effects from these drugs. I intend to do something about this atrocity and I hope that you will help me. For now...This is my daily journal of "Coming Down"...~

Monday, March 15, 2004

Day 1 Getting Started...

My appointment with the new Doc was at 9am and because I was running late I was a bit stressed. When I got there though, THEY were running late too! Then they still had all those many pages of paperwork to get put into my folder. (That's why I was late...I was filling out those pages and pages of new patient forms! :-)
Okay... So here I am...Armed with all my research, excited to finally be doing this, and now they want to weigh me...UGH! ... I could have done without getting on those scales but,... The truth needed to be told. I have gained 40 lbs. since I started traveling down the EFFEXOR HIGHWAY 1 1/2 years ago!
Watching that skinny little nurse slide those weights back and forth on the scales was enough to make me dizzy! And, following her hands as she adjusted them to get the perfect results was even begining to make me nauseous, but then, to my absolute horror, the next thing she did was call my "POUNDAGE" out loud!!!
I jumped off the scales, took a fast look around, (quickly thanking God that no-one was close enough to hear her), then I scooped up my purse and dashed ahead of her into the exam room!
Looking over my chart, (which was mailed to them from Dr. #1's office), she proceeded to ask me a few general questions, took my temperature and blood pressure and told me the Doc would be right in.
About 15 minutes later he arrived, and with a friendly smile he introduced himself. We exchanged some pleasantries while he too, reviewed my file and asked me a few questions. (He said nothing about my weight...I was the one who brought THAT up!)
He did ask me however,(besides the weight gain), WHY I wanted to get off of the Effexor. I explained to him the numerous side-effects I had experienced, (he was holding the list I had brought for him), and I figured that THAT should pretty much answer his question!
Next we spent several minutes going over those items on the list, one by one, discussing each in a bit more detail.
After we had finished he said that although some people have gone "cold turkey" getting off of Effexor, he agreed with me that this was not a good way to go.(Thank God).
Next he told me that he had ordered a book which lists suggested withdrawal timetables from different medications. (I wonder now...Did he just order this after I came by to set up my appointment 2 weeks ago, and told the receptionist pretty specifically WHY I wanted the appointment? Hum... Well, if that's what he did, then I figure he at least has an interest in helping me by being informed, so maybe he is okay! :-)
Next, I spent time explaining to him that I was quite aware of both the documented and un-documented withdrawal effects of the EFFEXOR XR and that many of the things I had read about withdrawing from the drug had given me a heightened sense of anxiety. I also explained that the anxiety was one of the main reasons I had put off making the forward move to get off the EFFEXOR and that the other main reason for waiting so long was the fact that since I had no medical insurance, (and since Dr. #1 had been getting my Effexor from the Wyeth Company for me @ no charge since day 1!!!!), that I could not afford to purchase the pills, if that was necessary, to complete any withdrawal plan. Of course, I was thinking 3-6 months for the tapering off at this time.
Well, he assured me that everything would be just fine and then left the room to go "double -check" the book for the prescribed timetable.
He returned just a few minutes later with this verbal prescription for withdrawal :
"Beginning today, decrease your dosage from 75mg. per day to 37.5mg. per day.
Do this for 3 weeks.
At the end of the 3 weeks you should be able to go without any further medication."

Three weeks worth of 37.5 mg. of Effexor XR accompanied his directions and as he handed the pills to me, and I thanked him, I had to wonder, after all I have read, after all I have heard.... if this schedule will really work for me.
Being the optimist that I am, I quickly shrugged off any apprehension though, and I have decided to explore the road ahead of me with faith and trust.
I will now begin my journey...
I have just taken my first 1/2 dose of just 37.5mg. and I look anxiously to the day that I will no longer be addicted to these NASTY, AWFUL, HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, (yet still perfectly legal), prescription pills called EFFEXOR XR!!!

Follow my journey if you'd like and wish me luck @:
beach-lover@verizon.net
read and sign the EFFEXOR PETITION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home